Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pick Up The Weight

I am not a doctor or personal trainer.  These are my observations I have learned through trial and error, research and other input I've gathered from fellow enthusiasts and professionals.
So, why even bother with weights? Well, let me tell you... it's your body's secret weapon.  How so?  Well, as you are working and doing your cardio, you are burning calories.  And, it feels pretty great as you are doing so.  But, wouldn't it be fantastic if your muscles continued to work and burn calories after you've stopped?  Kind of like "freebies"?  Well, lifting weights can make this happen.

Here's how I understand it:  Your body uses calories to build muscle mass.  When you lift weights, you make tiny little tears in your muscles.  Well, to repair those tears, your body must burn calories.  And, in doing so creates more muscle mass.  When you add more lean muscle mass, your metabolism goes up because your body requires more calories to maintain it.

Another great advantage to weight lifting is reducing the risk of injury.  What I mean by this is you strengthen not only your muscles, but your tendons and ligaments as well.  They connect your muscles and tissues and the stronger they become, the more stability and balance they offer. So, it makes sense that you would want them performing at their best so that YOU can perform at your best.

Of course, as the lean muscle begins to develop, the landscape of your body will change as well.  I have to tell you, I love seeing my arms become leaner and more sculpted as well as my shoulders becoming rounded and defined.  It's easy to do.  From what I've learned, the weight of what you are lifting isn't necessarily as important as the form in how you do it. If you can't or don't want to talk to a trainer, get on ye ole interweb and look up some of the correct ways to lift.

Keep these tidbits in mind as you contemplate weight lifting.  When you weave this into your normal cardio routine, you'll notice in a big way!

No comments:

Post a Comment