Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Upping the Ante and Reasons to Detest Barbies

November 2008, about 20-23 pounds lighter (198 or so).
By the time the beginning of November rolled around, I had lost 20 pounds. I couldn't believe it.  All from changing what I ate and exercising.  And, not conventional exercise, but essientally playing with my kid and using things I found around the house like chairs, balls, huge cans of soup, etc.  Walking was a large part of my life.  Well, walking and pushing a stroller, or pulling a wagon with 22 pounds worth of kid in it.  Everything I did, I wondered if I could break a sweat when I did it.  I was feeling fantastic.  It really was this easy!  The biggest tip I can give anyone who is taking on this task is this - it's a job. Not having time, being tired... let's be real, it's an excuse.  Because, like anything you want in life, you make time. You figure it out.  Every time.  If you want it - go get it.

The reason I revisit this is because about the 20 pound mark, you hit a wall.  Or, at least I did and several other people I've spoken with.  It's easy to get discouraged because when you hit a stride and weight starts falling off, you wonder if you can keep it up.  Of course you can.  You need to relight your fire.  You need to recommit yourself to your goal.  It has to be your job.  You have to think it, feel it, believe that you can do it.  I compare the need for this to nationally syndicated radio host, Dave Ramsey.  He talks about "Gazelle Intensity" when confronting your finances because gazelles need quick bursts of food and energy for results.  Well, weight loss is the same way.  You need to see results to make it real, and you need to see'em fast.  If not, it's so discouraging, it's incredibly easy to get dejected.  Trust me when I say if you confront this with intense focus, you'll kick through the wall.

Upon recommitting myself to this goal, I found I needed to up the ante to my fitness goal. At this point, the weather was getting colder and getting Schotz out in the stroller was getting harder to do with good weather, so, I joined a gym.  Talk about intimidating.  Why?  I detest Barbies.  Not the doll who has proportions that are so outta whack, she couldn't walk on 2 feet, but instead crawl.  Actually, studies have shown she would be 5'9" tall, have a 39" bust, an 18" waist, 33" hips and a size 3 shoe and not menstruate. At any rate, I'm not referring to her.  I'm referring to the woman at the gym who is in full-on make up, all the large jewelry she can handle, more than likely prancing and she did her hair.  Ignore the Barbie.  You are there to sweat......

Next blog - learning the gym ropes (machines, free weights and other things).

No comments:

Post a Comment