Thursday, June 30, 2011

Giving Your Body an Expectation

As I started this new journey, it was like looking through a brand new pair of glasses.  Everything I did was examined. If I was pushing the stroller, could I push faster?  If I had a doctor's appointment, I took the stairs instead of the elevator. When I was grocery shopping, I parked several spots farther back in the parking lot.  Remember: standing is better than sitting. Walking is better than standing.  And so on and so forth.

How could I get exercise into my everyday life?  It became my mission - to figure out a way to work up a sweat for 20 minutes a day, 4x a week, and I would go from there. That seemed like a reasonable goal.

Now... food. I love food.  I love the way it smells. The way it tastes. The way it crunches. I love the way it grows and the art of cooking it perfectly.  I love most everything about it.  ....Except ketchup.... but that's another story.   This was going to be tough.  But, there has to be a way to eat the things I love without, er - the proof I love it. 

What did I eat really?  Well, I decided to start writing it down.  Every little morsel I put into my mouth.  Every drink I took, every bite I chomped.  At the end of the day, I reviewed it.  Was I happy about what I ate that day?  How could I improve the nutrition of it while still enjoying it?  One thing I was determined about was I had to like it.  No stinkin' rice cakes (unless they were yummy) for this girl - hell no.  After all, this is a lifestyle change.  If I couldn't have some ice cream, chocolate, earthy steak, aged whiskey or wonderfully seductive, creamy cheesecake - then no dice.  You are supposed to live.  And, if I couldn't have some things once in a while, then this wasn't for me.  And, truthfully people, the answer is simple.  And we just stated it:  once in a while.  What I've learned is your body reacts to what you do to it in the every day, not in the every once in a while.  Don't believe me?  How many of you have made it from November 1 - January 15 with out gaining an ounce?  But, you still ate your Grandma's German potato balls smothered in gravy? You still tried every piece of pie on the Thanksgiving spread?  Then, you tempted fate and ask Santa Claus for some of those luscious Hersey's Kisses with the caramel inside to be nestled in your stocking?  Yes! It can be done.

Look at what you eat every day.  Then over the course of a week.  Then a month.  This is the plan your body expects.  When you change the plan, your body expects different things, and it reacts differently.  For instance, my body expects that I do not eat a large amount of grease.

When I do.....  let's just say I hear loud and clear from my body that it does not like that choice.  If I don't have a green salad in two days, if not every day, I crave it. 

Look at your favorite foods and meals.  How can you make it healthier for yourself?  More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment